Learn About Some of Our Homes
The Stammer House - 828 S. Broadway
The lot on which this home sits was purchased on April 5, 1888 by Mr. R.S. Hick from the Escondido Land and Town Company for the sum of $175. Hick built the Italianate house at the corner of 7th and Broadway in 1887; the property extended from 7th to 9th. In 1907, the Hicks sold this part of the property for $550 to C.A. Stammer. The Stammers were immigrants from Germany who purchased and operated a local dairy in 1900 and Carl was also a bookkeeper at the Steiner Store on Grand. The hilltop on which it sits was dubbed "Stammer Hill" at some point. Carl and his wife, Adeline, finished building this house in 1909, after 14 months of construction. A San Diego Union article, dated January 22, 1909, announced the home's completion and stated that this house had "...admittedly the finest viewpoint in the city." and that same 360 degree view may be even more spectacular today.
The 1909 newspaper article goes into great detail about this exceptional home, saying that the four acres it sat on were covered with huge boulders, many of which entered into the construction of a retraining wall and the foundation of the house. More than one hundred years later, a small portion of the west side retaining wall was destroyed in a severe storm but the rest still remains. The article also mentions a 13,000 gallon cistern located underneath the house, in the cellar.
Two years before they would return to Germany, in 1922, the Stammers sold the home to Levi Bodley and Edith May Fordyce Shaver. In 1927, the Shavers sold the home to L.K. Green, who used it as a vacation home, 2-3 months per year. L.K. Green served as president of Missouri Power and Light. Mr. Green died in 1930 and his wife sold the property to Mr. and Mrs. Jess O. Shelby, Jr. in October 1944. The Shelbys owned and operated a grocery store at the corner of Juniper and Grand in Escondido until the early 1960s.
In 1946, the Shelbys sold the property to William Kirk, a city councilman from 1948-1952, also reported to have owned the Del Mar Dairy and a hotel in San Diego. At that time an avocado grove extended from the house down to 9th Ave. In 1949, William and Dorothy Kirk divorced and title to the property was signed over to Dorothy.
Lyle Williams is believed to have purchased the home around 1962. In June, 1974, Alan and Nancy Skuba bought the home and moved in, along with their four children. They renovated the home throughout, also bumping out the attic walls to create additional living space.
The home's current owners purchased the property in 1986. They have renovated the kitchen and redecorated throughout and continue to work on it. As it once was, the cistern continues to be used to irrigate the landscape. The square footage of the home is more than 3,300 and the land now covers just over a half acre.
The Blackburn House - 429 E. 6th Ave.
This single story house was built in 1904 and is an example of Colonial Revival architecture, popular from 1900 to the 1920s. The house was moved to its current location from 210 W. 2nd Avenue in 1934. The earliest known owner was a widow, Lottie Blackburn, who owned the house in 1923.
More Home Descriptions
Visit the Old Escondido map by clicking here or download the "Explore Escondido" app on your mobile device.